Friday, December 3, 2010

Foodie Friday: Thimbelina Christmas Cookies






I had never heard of this recipe until about 2 years ago when my boss made them and brought them to the office. I instantly fell in love. These cookies are so festive looking and I think they are just adorable. I love the name too because it reminds me of Thumbelina and I used to love that story when I was a child. Besides looking adorable, they are very yummy. These are great to take to a holiday party! Enjoy!

Cookie Ingredients:
 1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg yolk (well beaten )
1 egg white (unbeaten)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans

Frosting Ingredients:
2 cups powdered sugar
6 tbs. melted butter

1 tbs. cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
Red and Green Food Coloring

Directions:
Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in egg yolk, and vanilla. Add flour and salt, blend in. Form into 1 inch balls. Roll in egg white, then roll in nuts. Place on ungreased cookie sheet, and, using your thumb, indent the center of each ball. Bake at 350 for 5 minutes, remove from oven, and indent again (they will puff up a bit and need the second indenting). Bake for another 12 minutes or so. Cool completely, then fill with tinted frosting.

Tinted Butter Frosting:

Combine 2 cups powdered sugar, 6 tablespoons melted butter, 1 tablespoon cream (I've used milk), and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Mix well. Divide the frosting up, and tint with red and green food coloring. Fill the indentations on the cookies with a teaspoon or so of frosting.


PS Don't forget to enter my GIVEAWAY in the post below!!!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment